Providing the correct and consistent answer all the time regardless of employee or knowledge-level is important to maintain a professional appearance to your customers. Additionally, speed in sending standard answers is key to wading through the masses of requests in growing service desks.
OTRS templates offer you a variety of ways to deal with standardizing communications and helps to predefine texts so that the customer always receives the same level and quality of service from all agents.
Use this screen to add templates for use in communications. A fresh OTRS installation already contains a template by default. The template management screen is available in the Templates module of the Ticket Settings group.
To add attachments to a template, it needs to create the attachment first in the Attachments screen.
To add a template:
- Click on the Add Template button in the left sidebar.
- Fill in the required fields.
- Click on the Save button.
To edit a template:
- Click on a template in the list of templates.
- Modify the fields.
- Click on the Save or Save and finish button.
To delete a template:
- Click on the trash icon in the list of templates.
- Click on the Confirm button.
If several templates are added to the system, a filter box is useful to find a particular template by just typing to filter.
The following settings are available when adding or editing this resource. The fields marked with an asterisk are mandatory.
- Type *
There are different kind of templates that are used for different purposes. A template can be:
- To be used as a ticket response or reply.
- To be used for new phone or email ticket.
- To be used for writing an email to a customer user.
- To be used to forward an article to someone else.
- To be used to create internal notes.
- Phone call
- To be used for inbound and outbound phone calls.
- Process dialog
- To be used in process management.
- Name *
- The name of this resource. Any type of characters can be entered to this field including uppercase letters and spaces. The name will be displayed in the overview table.
- The subject of the email sent to the users.
- Subject method
Specify how the current article subject should be dealt with. The following methods are available:
- The template subject will be added after the current article subject.
- The current article subject will be kept.
- The current article subject will be replaced with the template subject.
- The body of the email sent to the users.
- It is possible to add one ore more attachments to this template. Attachments can be added in the Attachments screen.
- Validity *
- Set the validity of this resource. Each resource can be used in OTRS only, if this field is set to valid. Setting this field to invalid or invalid-temporarily will disable the use of the resource.
- Add additional information to this resource. It is recommended to always fill this field as a description of the resource with a full sentence for better clarity, because the comment will be also displayed in the overview table.
Using variables in templates is possible. Variables, known as OTRS tags, are replaced by OTRS when generating the mail. Find a list of available tags stems for signatures at the bottom of both add and edit screens.
For example, the variable
<OTRS_TICKET_TicketNumber> expands to the ticket number allowing a template to include something like the following.
This tag expands, for example to: